Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day


Daddies and daughters have something special.  Well, so do daughters and moms - I mean, we have the potential to be real friends and truly understand each other.  The relationship with daddies, I don't know, it's all about just letting each other be and enjoying each other.

Baby Tad is a pretty lucky person to be born to my Bubba.  To be able to look up to him as a father and know him and appreciate him in a completely different way than everyone else. Bubba is really excited to meet this little person that puts on a rendition from Alien for him every evening.  It makes me happy.

My own dad passed away on July 9, 2000.    He was awesome.  I know that most people will say that about someone who passed away, but he was.  He was a bachelor until almost 30 when he met my mom, and yet he was the kind of guy who would go to the Salvation Army, buy broken toys, fix them and give them back.  When my mom met him, he was working on fixing the axle of a broken wagon and had bought some bright red paint to repaint it.

He was always like that.  He served God tirelessly in a hundred different ways every day.  He took the mantra "Leave the world a better place than you found it" very seriously.  I wanted to learn about engines and machines and I almost majored in math in college just to have something more in common with him.  Then my senior year of college he got sick.  He had a malignant giloma (the same primary brain tumor that Ted Kennedy is fighting right now) and he passed away 11 months later.

There was a long long time that I was mad at God for taking him because I had so much more to learn from him.  But then, I realized I've already learned so much about loving and being loved, that there wasn't much more to learn about life!  I just needed to put it to practice like he did.  

I still think about the unfairness that he'll never meet my amazing Bubba or enjoy Baby Tad like I know he would, or he'll never see me as a grown-up business woman.  But as he said, "I will never love you more.  You could make me more proud of you because of your accomplishments, but you could never make me love you any more than I do right now."  

That's the kind of love I want to show our daughter.  I want my baby to feel that love from her daddy too.  And I know she will.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Your dad sounds like he was a really special guy. I know your daughter will love hearing about him as she grows up!

Jess said...

This is beautiful. I'm glad that you have found such a wonderful father for your own child. I think that's one of the best gifts you could give your dad.