Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Gourmande, va!

When I lived in France, my friends would tease me about my love of food (j'etais la petite gourmande).  I'm a good eater (a colleague gave me a Good Eater award once) and I just really like food.  A lot.  My friends Mijo and Pierre would love to have me over for dinner because of my predilection.  A win-win situation, really.  I got to eat Mijo's incredible recipes, and I stroked her ego telling her how amazing it all was - she didn't hear that much from her husband and son.  Just thinking about that makes me salivate...

I went to the grocery store the other day because I was craving fried chicken, and I figured I could trick myself with some of the delicious veggie-nugget things that Morning Star makes.  You know, breading and whatnot...  Well, it was lunchtime and I was quite hungry and by the time I left the store I had spend $30 on 2 bags of groceries.  When I got home, I could barely remember what all I had purchased.

Here is what me in my starving pregnant state picked up from the grocery store:

apple
banana
french bread
mac and cheese
hot dogs
crackers
milk
herbed cheese spread
mixed berries
cran-raspberry juice
skinny cow ice cream sandwiches

Conspicuously missing?  Anything breaded or remotely fried chicken-like.  I ate an entire box of mac and cheese with hot dogs for lunch instead of the smoothie I convinced myself I would make.

Ah, if my French friends could see me now!

2 comments:

Manda said...

HA ha! I also have had the hot dogs and mac and cheese (from the box) cravings. Why do we pregos love the processed food so much? Dang, now I need to hit the grocery store!!

Jess said...

Wow! Yummy! And also, I keep meaning to email you back! I totally will! I was just going to email you about Senegal but now I see that you lived in France too! So did I! Sorry about all the exclamation points!