Friday, May 9, 2008

Doing my part as a patriotic American

Our economic stimulus payment came this week.  It's pretty exciting, I must say, to get a nice chunk of money - from the government no less - and not have to claim it on taxes.  It's like ghost money.

And of course, it is the clear intention of congress and the president that all good and patriotic americans immediately present themselves at the bank to cash these checks and spend it all at once.  Thusly boosting collective demand in the economy and warding off the "r" word.  Whatever, I'm going to say it - RECESSION.  But it all depends on how quickly we spend it and on what, you know?!  THE PRESSURE!

Honestly, I hope that everybody uses this money to pay down their debt.  Wouldn't that be awesome?  A little f-you to the old man, if you will.  I mean, how crazy is it that we're in rough times and every person and family should be focusing on managing their means and their budgets to get through without credit cards or unnecessary spending, and what does the government think up for us?  Money for us to spend!  $150-some Billion!  When we should be tightening our belts, our leaders tell us to open our pocketbooks.  It seems silly to me.  But what do I know?  I'm not an economist!!  This is just ranting!

So, our money?  It's going straight into the Baby Tad Birthing fund.  Well, I mean AFTER I do my patriotic duty to let my husband take me out to dinner a couple of times and maybe even to a movie (when is the last time I was in a movie theatre?!?!?).  We have to get SOME pleasure out of it, right?  

I figure the balance will pay for most of our hospital expenses, and, really, that's a pretty nice present from Uncle Sam. 

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Definitely go to the movies- that's so hard to do after a baby comes! Hope you have fun spending some of your check!

Swistle said...

We're putting ours in savings, to pay for Rob's braces in a few years (when there's a different president).