Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day

I think it's funny every year at this time when commercials and billboards and whatnot sprout up encouraging people to wake up to the realities of waste and its impact on our planet.  Not necessarily the ads themselves, but the fact that they only come out once a year.  Like the new ad with Nancy Pelosi and Newt Gingrich (youtube.com/watch?v=qi6n_-wB154).  I fully expected that commercial to end in a fist fight.  I actually think it should have - more people would have watched it/been affected by it...  Ok, maybe only I would have thought it hilarious.

But isn't it still a fact that people doubt the very existence of such a thing as global warming?  Last year about this time, I went to a lecture on climate change given by one of my professors from back in my college days.  This is what I've learned and what has stuck with me: while fluctuations of the greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere have always existed, the levels that we are now dealing with are a product of humans' consumption exacerbating the issue.  So even if climate changes every so many eons, why should we mess with it and tempt fate?

Living in the Northwest, Bubba and I have become much more "reduce, reuse, recycle" conscious.  Partially because it seems to be much easier here than in the midwest.  Everything gets recycled, we compost, we have a yard waste bin, we keep our heat low, we drink tap water, we (mostly) remember our reusable grocery bags, etc.  So even though we don't have a negative carbon footprint as of now, I think we're doing pretty well for beginners.  We're not Crunchy to the point of some of our neighbors, but we are comfortably Crusty, I'd say.

In baby news, Baby Tad (the sweetest fetus) has been rocking and rolling with amazing agility lately.  I read somewhere (in my obsessive mommy reading) that it's because she's strong enough to exercise her muscles, but still small enough to have room to do so.  Well, let me just tell you, it's pretty amazing.  I can tell where she is situated in by belly, and sometimes she kicks me so hard it makes me jump with surprise!  I've discovered that she hates the blender/food processor, and when she's restless and won't let me sleep at night, we both calm right down when Bubba sings to us.  

No comments: